How to Go to BedSep 13, 2019
Sleep is a critical component of your productivity. But how do you set yourself up for sleep success?
Going to bed is more than turning off the light, climbing into bed and closing your eyes.
I’ve been doing a lot of research lately about how to go to bed. And there’s more to it than you realize.
Sleep is critically important for your productivity. Neuroscientists and sleep experts recommend 7 to 9 hours EVERY night.
Here are 6 ideas to consider.
1. Stop consuming caffeine after 2 pm (or entirely!). Personally, I only drink water (all day, every day). Caffeine affects your productivity in ways you can't imagine. Pick up Dr. Matthew Walker's bestselling book, Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams (affiliate link). It'll blow your mind.
2. Avoid late nights. It’s best to go to bed at the same time and arise at the same time. The body loves consistency. Going to bed at a reasonable time Sunday through Thursday and then staying up late (and sleeping in) on Saturdays and Sundays doesn't help your body's ability to help you be productive.
3. Cut off screen time at least 60 minutes before lights out. The more, the better. Instead, read a print book or a book on a Kindle (not the Kindle app on your iPad) or a magazine. Other options include praying or meditating.
4. Cool your bedroom. You’ll sleep better if your room is on the cool side and all light is blocked out. Personally, I live having air move around me as I sleep...even during the winter.
5. Invest in a comfortable mattress. If you're not comfortable, you won't sleep well which means the chances of you being productive tomorrow are reduced.
6. The final thoughts as you drift off to sleep should not be about what went wrong but instead what went right. Think of everything that was awesome about your day. Write in your journal something you're grateful for. Or what happened today that made you feel good.
Get Productivity Tips That I Only Share With Email Subscribers
Become a Mark Struczewski Insider and get productivity tips and exclusive content that I only share with email subscribers!
I hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.