How to Recharge During the DayApr 08, 2022
What does your phone, tablet, wearable, laptop, and you all have in common?
Answer: they work better (translation: more efficiently) when charged.
Have you ever tried to use your device when it was running low on juice? A newer smartphone will warn you when you get low (the iPhone's threshold is 20%). When enabled, your device will begin to shut down some features to save battery life.
Did you realize that your body sends you signals? These may include (among others):
- Loss of focus
- Headache or other body aches
- Easily angered
- Low energy levels
What do you do when you begin to get these warning signals from your body?
Do you push on, or do you listen and take action?
Here are a few ideas you can implement into your life before you get any of these warning signals or, at the very least, when they arrive.
EMBRACE THE POWER OF MICRO-BREAKS
Like so many other people, you are spending seemingly endless hours sitting on your derriere staring at a screen.
Your body was not created to do this. That's why you have legs!
The moment you begin to feel your energy dip, do this:
- Get up from wherever you are and walk outside. This will get your blood flowing in those parts where it wasn't and get your muscles moving. No excuses here. You can do this if you work from home or an office. If it's cold outside, grab a jacket. If it's hot, it won't be long, and the heat won't kill you (or stand in the shade). If it's lightning, don't stand out in a field holding a metal pole! Seek shelter.
- Do not get on any device or talk to anyone.
- Do not think about what you're working on, what you worked on earlier, or what you have to do next.
- Just be quiet. Maybe close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
That's it. Now, return to your work feeling energized.
From start to finish, this will take you around 5 minutes. But make it longer if you need to.
WORK UP A LITTLE SWEAT
Consider taking a brisk walk outside (again, without your device; the exception would be if you wear an Apple Watch or Garmin to track your activity). Walk around the block, around your building, or up a flight of stairs and back down again. Be creative. This takes the micro-break to another level.
There's a line in the 2008 film, The Dark Knight from The Joker: "Why so serious?"
Your life cannot be all about working.
You absolutely must take time to laugh.
And not a weak laugh, but I want you to laugh so far you struggle to breathe, snot comes out your nose, tears stream down your face, and you might pee your pants a little.
When's the last time you laughed like that?
How do you do this?
Watch a funny movie, YouTube video, or a comedienne on Apple Music, Spotify, or wherever.
PLAY WITH YOUR PET
It doesn't matter what animal (or animals) you have as pets; spending some time with them will recharge you and make them feel loved.
How do you stay/get recharged during the day? Let me know.
Get Productivity Tips That I Only Share With Email Subscribers
Become a Mark Struczewski Insider and get productivity tips and exclusive content that I only share with email subscribers!
I guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.